Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Eight-Stone Press Fights Cancer, Provides Breast Support



BALTIMORE – Because I love boobies (and their owners) so much, Eight-Stone Press will participate in the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure, for the third consecutive year, on Sunday, October 18, 2009, in Hunt Valley, Maryland. Once again, I will be a part of the Oncology Center of Central Baltimore team – the people who, quite literally, saved my life.

Two years ago this month, I wrapped up six months of intensive chemotherapy for a particularly aggressive form of non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma that could have well otherwise killed me. To date, the cancer remains in remission, and I feel as healthy as I ever did (if not better), and I wholly attribute this fact to the professionalism and compassion of Dr. Stanley Walker and his top-notch team of nurses and office staff at the Oncology Center of Central Baltimore.

The Komen Race for the Cure is the Oncology Center’s main fundraising event of the year. As such, I feel it is nothing short of my duty to help those who helped me and, in so doing, help others battling any manifestation of this terrible disease. I participated in my first Komen Race about one month after my final round of chemo. Three years later, I’m back at it, still going strong.

These are tough, lean times for everyone, to be sure. But as any who has ever suffered this disease firsthand – be it themselves, family or friends – will attest, things can get awfully tougher. It is for them that I ask you to join me on Race day (10/18) – or, if you are unable to attend, to kindly make a donation on my fundraising page below (and remember, no amount is too small, or too arbitrary):

http://tinyurl.com/ldgwlo

Where do the funds go, you ask? Well, “at least 25 percent of net proceeds are used to support the Komen Award and Research Grant Program. Funding national research is vital as this is where we believe the cures for breast cancer will be found. Since Maryland is home to many prestigious research institutions, Komen funding often goes to cutting-edge research happening right here in Maryland.

“Up to 75 percent of net proceeds stay in Maryland to fund grants that provide transportation to appointments, financial support, appropriate diagnostic testing, and a comprehensive range of follow-up services. Because early detection is the best protection for breast cancer, Komen Maryland sponsors grants that increase the number of women who have annual mammograms and clinical breast exam screenings. Komen grants continue to focus on recruiting patients for clinical trials.

“The programs we fund help to overcome the cultural, social, educational and financial barriers that prevent people from receiving life saving treatment right now.”

For more information on the Komen Race for the Cure, visit www.komenmd.org. And thank you all for your kindness and support over the years.

Stay healthy,

WP Tandy, Editor
Eight-Stone Press
P.O. Box 11064
Baltimore, Maryland 21212
E-mail: wpt@eightstonepress.com
Website: http://www.eightstonepress.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/wptandy
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/eightstonepress
MySpace: http://www.myspace.com/eightstonepress


-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment